torsdag den 6. november 2014

ALT for Damerne, No. 44, 1955

I've scanned from ALT for Damerne (Everything for the Ladies), number 44, 1955 for you. It is the first magazine published in November 1955. All scans can be clicked into larger formats. Although it is a Danish magazine, I hope my foreign readers will have fun reading my small recaps and get inspiration from the photos.

The cover is lovely, but I am a bit puzzled. I think it is very summery:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955

In the binocular is about this and that:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
This week there is good advice on how to make order in your embroidery yarn, how you make your kitchen zink to a baby bath tub, and how you make a shoe shine machine! Gosh! But I think that back then it was really a problem shining all the shoes of a family EVERY day. It is not happening in my house, I can tell you.

Short movie this time shows us three useful news for the kitchen:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
An extra thing (a ring) for the beater (I have one in my summer cottage, but I do prefer my electrical mixer), a useful ½ litre measure cop, and a practical skimming spoon.

Gay clothes in dark weather:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
(Note the cigaret, you don't see that nowaday in ALT for Damerne og any modern magazine.)

I think it really is what we all need this time of year, and if you cannot afford new things for your wardrobe, you can decorate your old clothes with tassels and be very modern:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955

Great ideas to the finishing touch, but only one touch:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
It must have been the "less is more" in the fifties.

Do like Audrey does:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
Audrey Hepburn is still the quintessence of style and elegance so re-do her diagonal blouse shown above.

Pinafore dresses are modern:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955

ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955

Come to bridge - in these three nice dresses, which you could buy patterns to sew yourself:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955

And Pattern on Fabric offered plaid dresses, because now they are in fashion:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
I have also invested in plaid dresses from the fifties this year. I am so in love with plaids this time of the year.

Her corner shows a really nice letter case and a pillow with ruffles:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
I think I will make myself the letter case, and have everything conveniently and elegantly in one place.

Remember that both make great gifts:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
It is Christmas before we know it.

At the indoor arrangement pages is an article about smart furniture, because the purpose is several purposes:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955

The armchairs can be made to beds and the little bed table can be made to an extra coffee table:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
Very smart in a small department.

On to the ads. I start with an ad for Biodop shampoo that gives you shiny hair without making it greasy:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
Note that it looks like a toothpaste tube.

On to a brilliant new idea:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
From three flowers, an elegant plastic powder box with cover.

With Max Factor they see red with See Red:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
It is the first whole page ad for a lipstick I've seen. And this ad also let us know that there was not only matte lipsticks back then.

Double lovely in Edelweiss that is spiderweb fine and feminine:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
Start the day with Vitapan. I didn't know vitamin pills existed in 1955. I thought they came in the sixties, but this ad is proof they did.

Finaly, a compliment - Helfa all day and night:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
Another lovely slip.

Nice and soft frotté towels from Veitex:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
And no table without mustard from Bähncke. I remember my grandma collected the glasses.

NEW concentrated synthetic dishwasher soap - in a can:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955

Are you tired:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
Dandy - cheers you up.  The tired housewife looks exhausted. Perhaps her husband should invite her out to dinner instead?

Nilfisk news:
 ALT for Damerne, nr. 44, 1955
I've always loved good old Nilfisk, or R2D2, as it was named in our home. And there are no limits for its magic. Just look at the little baby boy vacuum cleaning his toy dog and later he spray paints his real dog's dog house.

2 kommentarer:

  1. True, though beautiful, the cover is very much more in line with spring or summer. I wonder...had the magazine perhaps had that shoot done earlier in the year, not ended up using it then, and not wanting the money spent on it to go to waste, opted to use it for November and hope most readers wouldn't mind? Back in the far more thrifty days of the mid-twentieth century, I could definitely see that happening.

    Tons of hugs & happy Friday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Great thoughts, I suppose you're right. Back then everybody was much more thrifty, but it is a strange cover, since they always had covers matching the season or holiday. :)

      Slet

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...